Tuesday, June 10, 2008

What is Literacy?

For me, literacy is more than just reading and writing---it's a tool for reading the world. It's also interesting to think about Gee's definition of literacy as an identity kit. I think that your literacy is definitely shaped by the community/groups you belong to. In my ENGL 825: Second Language Literacy we were asked to write a literacy autobiography. In the process of writing it I was able to reflect on the people and experiences that influenced by literacy journey--my parents, sibilings, teachers, community, etc.

It's interesting to think about the different forms that literacy can take from the ablility to read a map and make change (functional) to performing heart surgery or running a business (specialized). Many people fail to acknowledge that there are many different ways to be literate. Sadly, individuals often base their perceptions of who is literate and who is illiterate based on educational level, appearance, etc.

As teachers I think it's natural to think about the ways that we influence our students' literacy. In first-year composition, writing instructors play a crucial role in helping students become literate to the ways of the university from writing standards to the value of a liberal education. Oftentimes, we also have to undo some of the "literacy" damage from prior educational experiences. For example, in my own literacy autobiography I relived the negative experiences of high school English courses where creativity and freedom of expression were frowned upon. I showed up in freshman writing with baggage--I was a damaged reader and writer. It was only through exposure to new ways of reading, writing and thinking that I opened myself up to developing new literacies In that way, we are opening students up to new literacies--new ways of approaching the world.



2 comments:

Soongoori said...

Maybe we are supposed to have an eternal journey of literacy to the end of life, as long as we are humans. Probably because we are human thanks to, or due to the creation and the possession of language. Most of literacy is about language. That's why we have to have the journey of literacy regardless of our will or intention.

Jeab Ngarmnij said...

Dauvan,
I am Jeab from Thailand. I dont feel comforatble that individuals are classified as illeterate based on their level of their education. it is like, in a society, there are middle class, upper class, lower upper class and etc based on their incomes.