Monday, June 9, 2008

Experimenting with Technology

I have enjoyed experimenting with the various technologies we have been exposed to in ENGL 808 this session. While I am familiar with most of these technologies I have never really taken the time to really play around with them. It's one thing to talk about them and it's another thing to create an account and become an active participant in using technologies such as Second Life, blogs and my own home page.

I have come to realize within the last week the importance of keeping up with what's current, especially as a teacher of such a technologically savvy generation. I am starting to see why my students enjoy these activities so much. I can see using some of these technologies in my own classroom, especially blogging. I think it would be fun to have my students create Second Life accounts so we can peer review in cyberspace. The opportunities are endless!

3 comments:

Gian Pagnucci said...

Glad to hear you are enjoying this opportunity to experiment with various technologies. Of course, we are barely scratching the surface, but hopefully this exploration gives you a sense of how you might add more tools to your teaching toolbox.

nwarwick said...

I connected with what you said about showing up to freshman composition as a damaged reader and writer. I do various activities which allow me to hear about students' experiences as readers and writers and I find I am often shocked and horrified by some of the things teachers have said to them or written on their papers. I think it's so important to know there are damaged readers and writers in our classrooms and that we need to take care to repair what damage we can and not do further damage.

nwarwick said...

I meant to post my post under literacy, not technology. Oops!